This post may contain affiliate links.
Everyone has their own version of comfort food. For my family, it is Beef Stroganoff. This is my husband’s favorite meal. He loves it so much that his mother made it for him for Christmas dinner one year!
The recipe I’m sharing here is my mother-in-law’s recipe. However, you can find thousands of versions of this recipe on the internet. This is how it goes down at our house:
- 2 1/2 pounds Sirloin cut in 1 inch strips
- 2 Tbsp Butter divided
- 1 Small Onion minced
- 1 can Mushrooms (optional)
- 1 cup Frozen Peas (optional)
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 2 cups Beef Broth*
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Prepared Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1 Package Egg Noodles
- Cook’s Tip: Cut beef steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/8-inch thick strips.
- Add 1 Tbsp of butter to a hot skillet and melt. Add beef and cook until just barely brown.
- Add onion to skillet. (Add mushrooms and peas also, if using). Cook an additional 5 minutes. Remove mixture and place in casserole dish. Reserve liquid.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 1 Tbsp of butter, flour, beef broth, salt, pepper, prepared mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and ketchup. Add to liquid in skillet.
- Allow mixture in skillet to thicken by cooking on medium-low heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir in sour cream and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Pour mixture over beef in casserole dish. Place in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Prepare noodles according to package instructions. Serve beef stroganoff over noodles.